Thursday, April 18, 2024
HomeEntertainmentThere’s More Than Meets the Eye With ‘Puss in Boots: The Last...

There’s More Than Meets the Eye With ‘Puss in Boots: The Last Wish’

Editor’s Note: This article contains spoilers for “Puss in Boots: The Last Wish.”

The titular anthropomorphic cat that we’ve come to know and love, Puss (Antonio Banderas), returned to the screen on Dec. 21 in “Puss in Boots: The Last Wish.” Subverting the expectations of beloved fans of the Shrek franchise, the creative animated film knew how to stray far, far away from mediocrity. 

After death greets the crime-fighting feline at his door and knocks him down to his last life, Puss wants to use the wishing star to restore his nine lives. Perrito (Harvey Guillén), a homeless and friendly dog joins him in his pursuit of the wish as they are chased by Goldilocks (Florence Pugh), Papa Bear (Ray Winstone), Mama Bear (Olivia Colman) and Baby Bear (Samson Kayo). They successfully steal a map with the coordinates for the wishing star from “Big” Jack Horner (John Mulaney), a crime lord who wants to use the wish to harness all the magic in the world under his thumb. On the chase from the Bears and Horner, they cross paths with Puss’ former lover, Kitty Softpaws (Salma Hayek), who joins them to form “Team Friendship.” Now alongside Perrito and Kitty, Puss must navigate what his final life means to him as his main enemy Wolf (Wagner Moura) haunts him of his imminent death.

As a spin-off sequel, the film carries similar thematic elements as the beloved franchise of Shrek. The similarities and parallels can be uncanny and even nostalgic at times, especially when the movie follows a comparable trio with inextinguishable chemistry and an endearing dynamic. As its final message, the film pushes how one’s mortality can be meaningful without an additional eight lives when the value of family and friendship are acknowledged.

Outlaw Puss takes a long-winded journey to understand this and endures life-threatening events to not only extend his lifespan but to also secure his highly praised status in society. However, to get to the wishing star is a challenge of its own — one must use the map to navigate through the many obstacles of the enchanted forest. The architectural design of the mystical forest varies depending on whoever possesses the map, displaying the subconsciousness and desires of each character. Each struggle, fear or past trauma of these characters materializes and physically manifests as a set piece of the forest. As a result, in a comedic scene, the trio agrees to follow the map under Perrito’s possession since his path seems the least dangerous and most wholesome out of the three.

As each character in the film plots to reach the wishing star for their own desires, their emotionally-driven fantasies become a testament to the realities of their own lives and those who play a role in them. The film underscores the important exchange of sacrificing one’s societal image, with the mortifying ordeal of opening up to others and breaking down one’s emotional walls, to enjoy one’s life to the fullest capacity.

The film carries a heavy message, but when it comes to its comedy and pacing, the writers know that their viewers want to have a good time. Because of this, the film understands when to not take itself too seriously and embraces its chaotic nature during its comedic scenes. Whether it’s a nonsensical puppy-eye competition between two cats or a gravity-defying leap into the air that’s downright goofy and strikingly impossible, the film enjoys throwing in spontaneous moments of insanity and silliness. Watching “Puss in Boots: The Last Wish” feels like a fever dream but in the best way possible.

During action-packed scenes, the camerawork is sporadic and all over the place, capturing the most unique angle of every fight scene. Even the less intense moments are enhanced by compositional symmetry and an attention to every detail in how each shot is portrayed. From quick, close-up shots of characters being flung across the screen to the adjustment of delayed frame rates, the film’s dynamic cinematography stands out for its creativity and renders its unique animation style under the same breadth of films like “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse.”

The film’s most impressive feat, however, is its ability to juggle all the different storylines and character arcs of such a distinct ensemble. After viewers recover from the thrills of each action sequence, the film disperses emotional beats that breathe life to these characters. Each of them desire the last wish but are fueled by different motives. Puss’ fixation of how he wants to be viewed in the public eye and Kitty’s unshakable fear of being vulnerable to those who may abandon her are all universal sentiments that any audience member can relate to. From minor characters to the film’s protagonists, each storyline is written with an organic flow to their character development and brings several fruitful messages for younger audience members.

Although executing these different character arcs in a short runtime is no easy task, this film somehow manages to do it perfectly. Beyond taking the time to flesh out these stories, the film reinvents fairy tale characters to provide its writing with emotional depth and nuance in ways many would have never anticipated. Each character is given a respectful amount of screen time for them to reveal their deepest desires in ways that go beyond the surface level. In a flashback-like sequence, Goldilocks revisits the moment the bears adopted her as their daughter until the film reveals that she struggles with her own internal conflict of longing for a human family. 

The only character that suffers from a rather one-dimensional depiction is the film’s main antagonist, Jack Horner. His relentless evildoings stem from a humiliating past where his street performances of sticking his thumb in pies were quickly overshadowed by other performers. Although he is also motivated by selfish motives, one in which he wants to become an omnipotent force wreaking magical havoc, his staticity contrasts the growth of other characters while lacking the depth to become a more poignant antagonist.

Reinventing and expanding the storylines of renowned children’s book characters is nothing new to the Shrek-universe. However, “Puss in Boots: The Last Wish” knows how to flesh out the characters, some more than others, that were chosen for the film to create a cohesive, overlapping narrative with comedic twists and emotional beats. Rather than writing them all as tropes based on their respective folk tales, each character carries a unique perspective and individually contributes to the film’s overarching themes of family, friendship and love. 

In a highly unprecedented concoction of comedic goofiness, visually stunning cinematography and multifaceted storylines, “Puss in Boots: The Last Wish” proves to its audience that there’s more than meets the eye. With an iconic ensemble of likable characters and a heartwarming script, the animated film puts up a big fight to win the hearts of those who least expect it.

Raymond Dinh is an Entertainment Staff Writer. He can be reached at raymontd@uci.edu.