Monday, June 17, 2024
HomeNewsCampus NewsASUCI Holds Midsummer Night Market

ASUCI Holds Midsummer Night Market

ASUCI’s Night Market Commission held the Midsummer Night Market on May 3. 

Student Center staff set up forty-three booths along Ring Road for Registered Campus Organizations (RCOs) to raise funds by selling food and other goods.

Ava Dufort, a fourth-year earth systems science student and co-captain of After League, a sketch comedy club at UCI helped sell boba from 7 Leaves Cafe at the club’s booth. The line grew to more than 20 people waiting to buy boba at one point.

“We have a really nice open space [to booth],” Dufort said. “We’ve been able to organize our long line pretty well. Everyone seems to be super happy with our 7 Leaves.”

The Night Market Commission held two free T-shirt drops during the night — the first at 4:35 p.m. and the second at 6:30 p.m. 

Both drops saw students in line as early as one hour before the scheduled drop times. On both occasions, the lines for T-shirts spanned from the area in front of Zot N Go to the plaza in front of Murray Krieger Hall.

The commission gave away a total of 2,000 olive green T-shirts with “Midsummer Night Market” printed on the front.

Alyssa McGhee, a second-year drama student, was at the front of the line for the second T-shirt drop. McGhee told the New University that she was excited to receive the Midsummer Night Market T-shirt. 

“I’ve never been to a Midsummer [Night Market] event,” McGhee said. “COVID really put some restrictions. It finally feels like the campus is opening up again and that we’re really alive.  I’m actually seeing the spirit of UCI tonight.”

In addition to the T-shirt drops, the commission organized a photo booth, a merchandise booth that distributed water bottles, hand sanitizers and other free goods, and a booth with a “Flower Power Cup Shoot” archery game. 

The commission also held a series of raffles throughout the night. May Khauv, a third-year business economics student, won the raffle held at 6 p.m. and received a free $50 Amazon gift card.

Midsummer was the third night market of the school year and the second in spring 2023 following the rescheduling of Winter Love Night Market due to poor weather.

Night Market Commissioner Bernice Doronila, a third-year psychology and education student, said that the Midsummer Night Market drew more students out than the school year’s previous two night markets.

“It’s the last one,” Doronila said, “[so it’s] the last opportunity [to participate].”

Doronila said that night markets give campus organizations a forum to promote their diverse cultures and practices. 

“Having different clubs and RCOs perform, booth and sell gives representation to all of the UCI culture and diversity that we have,” Doronila said.

Rustin Roudi is a Campus News Intern for the spring 2023 quarter. He can be reached at rroudi@uci.edu.