Wednesday, December 7, 2022
HomeEntertainmentLindsay Lohan Sleighs in ‘Falling for Christmas’

Lindsay Lohan Sleighs in ‘Falling for Christmas’

Editor’s Note: This article contains spoilers for “Falling for Christmas.”

“The Parent Trap” star Lindsay Lohan is back in a brand new Netflix romantic comedy titled “Falling For Christmas,” released on Netflix on Nov 10. 

This is Lohan’s first lead role in nearly a decade, her last one being in “The Canyons,” released in 2013. Since her well-known role in the 2004 classic “Mean Girls,” Lohan experienced a lot of personal and career setbacks that constantly made her the subject of negative media attention. In order to regain her life, Lohan largely remained out of the limelight, but fans were happy to see her doing well when she posted about her marriage engagement on Instagram last November. Furthermore, in March of this year, the actress announced a two-picture business deal with Netflix, the first one being “Falling For Christmas.” 

“We’re so happy with our collaboration with Lindsay to date, and we’re thrilled to continue our partnership with her,” Christina Rogers, the Director of Original Independent Film at Netflix, said. “We look forward to bringing more of her films to our members around the world.”

Two movies set to release soon is an incredible feat, so fans were thrilled to hear about her return to the silver screen. To celebrate this momentous occasion, fans dubbed her film revival the “Lohan-aissance.” Lohan was heavily involved in the production, even releasing a cover of “Jingle Bell Rock” for the film — a slight nod to the famous “Mean Girls” scene.

In “Falling For Christmas,” Lohan plays Sierra Belmont, a rich and spoiled hotel heiress, who visits her father’s ski resort in some undisclosed, snowy town. During a tragic ski accident, Sierra falls from a snowy mountain. Thankfully, her bright fuchsia coat catches the attention of Jake Russell (Chord Overstreet), the owner of the humble Northstar Lodge, who quickly comes to rescue her. She wakes up in the hospital bed, but she has no recollection of who she is or where she came from. To help her recover from her amnesia, Jake volunteers to house Sierra in his lodge until someone comes looking for her. Sierra — now nicknamed “Sarah” — struggles to adjust to a life of normalcy and fails every task Jake assigns her. However, when she realizes that the Northstar Lodge runs the risk of closing, she organizes a town fundraiser. Enveloped in a winter wonderland setting of bright lights and cheer, the two fall in love in the typical rom-com style. 

The plot is quite generic and the dialogue just as much, so it will not be going down as one of Lohan’s iconic projects — but that is okay. Holiday movies rely on a level of nostalgia to secure them a spot in the Christmas movie hall of fame. So, while “Falling For Christmas” is not revolutionary by any standard, its stereotypical clichés help carry the charm of other commonly adored Christmas movies. In fact, it has all the common elements of any Hallmark release: a small-town setting, cheesy dialogue, tragic death of a spouse, and either Santa or one of his elves intervening to save the day. It is common knowledge that films of this genre lack substance and are often littered with plot holes, but that is what ironically makes them so likable.

Is it cheesy? Sure. Is it romantic? Kind of. Is it worth the watch? Maybe. However, it is Lohan’s involvement that makes the movie appealing in the first place, not the content itself. Most fans would agree that the film’s content remains highly unimportant when assessing it as a whole, since Lohan’s return overshadows any of its flaws. 

“It’s so healing to see Lindsay serving and thriving and delivering,” one fan on Letterboxd writes. “My heart is so full.”

“The LiLo phoenix rises from the ashes,” another fan says.

For some, watching the hundredth variation of a couple standing awkwardly under the mistletoe is utter torture, but for others it is exactly the kind of cheesy watch they need to lift their spirits. If the latter sounds like you, then maybe “Falling For Christmas” is worth a watch. If not, then you are better off skipping this movie and looking for another holiday fix. Lohan’s charm and familiar red hair made the watching experience more worthwhile. So while “Falling For Christmas” is no cinematic masterpiece, nor does it do anything revolutionary in terms of holiday rom-coms, it is refreshing to see Lindsay Lohan star in a movie again.

Kamilla Jafarova is an Entertainment Staff Writer. She can be reached at kjafarov@uci.edu.