Monday, June 17, 2024
HomeSportsCross CountryBreaking Records at Bronco Invitational

Breaking Records at Bronco Invitational

The UC Irvine Men’s and Women’s Cross Country teams attended the Bronco Invitational at Baylands Regional Park on Saturday, Oct. 15.

Sophomore Zeid Hussain led the UCI men’s competitors as he placed eighth out of 215 runners in the 8000-meter race. The runner finished with an outstanding personal best of 23:47.0 that tied UCI’s 8k record held by Ricky Barnes in 2016. 

Trailing Hussain was sophomore Lukas Amare, who took 14th place and completed a personal best 23:56.1. This personal record bumped him up on the program’s all-time charts to No. 3.

Only three seconds off from his previous PR at UCR’S 41st Annual Cross Country Invitational, sophomore Joshua Schuld clocked in at 24:17.6 falling a tad bit short of Cal Poly’s freshman Spencer Pickren. 

With the Women’s 6k record held by four-time All-Big West performer Laura Olvera going untouched for 14 years, UCI sophomore Anna Vogtmann cleared the entire course in an impressive 19:54.7 to claim the new school title. The runner placed fifth in the race.

Not too far from her teammate, senior Hannah Chau finished at 11th place with a time of 20:17.2, only 0.3 seconds away from her PR that is ranked third in program history. 

The Men’s Cross Country team closed their race at sixth place overall with a total time of 2:01:45.00. 

The Women’s Cross Country team also came in sixth place as they racked up 202 points with a total time of 1:44:25.50.

Both teams will compete in the Titan Invitational in Fullerton, CA on Friday, Oct. 21 before they enter the Big-West Championships.

Jazlyn Flores is a Sports Staff Writer. She can be reached at jazlynpf@uci.edu.