HomeNewsNews in Brief: Week 0

News in Brief: Week 0

Dalai Lama visited Southern California and UC Irvine

To commemorate his 80th birthday on July 6, the 14th Dalai Lama attended the Global Compassion Summit in Southern California from July 5th through the 7th.

The Global Compassion Summit began Sunday, July 5 at the Honda Center in Anaheim with a speech and dialogue about the power of creativity and art.

In addition to the thousands of supporters at the indoor arena, a string of celebrities and scholars including actor Josh Radnor, comedian George Lopez, television music judge and music producer Randy Jackson and Nobel Peace laureate Jodi Williams were also present. Television personality and journalist Ann Curry was the keynote speaker at the event.

“[The Dalai Lama] may be a simple Buddhist monk, but he is the most rocking, compassionate, simple Buddhist monk I know,” said anti-landmines campaigner and Nobel Peace laureate Jodi Williams.

Throughout his speech and dialogue, the Dalai Lama emphasized the moral responsibility of every human being in helping to achieve a more compassionate world. He argued that one must first care for themselves, then their families, then their communities in order to better the world.

Among the various topics the Dalai Lama addressed in order to produce a more compassionate world, the monk mentioned the important link between education and contentment.

“They [billionaires and the wealthy] are unhappy with their life, but they are educated (…) this shows that education is not adequate and needs to be fixed (…) it [education] must give mental comfort,” explained the Dalai Lama.

The Dalai Lama was also given an eight-foot-high birthday cake at the end of the long string of introductions and short speeches from the laureates and celebrities.

After the event at the Honda Center, the Dalai Lama proceeded to UC Irvine on July 6th and 7th to continue speaking about the importance of education, experience and leadership.

Jorge Cisneros named new Chief of UCIPD

UC Irvine appointed Jorge Cisneros as the new chief of the UCI Police Department on Sept. 8.

As the new chief of police of UC Irvine, Cisneros will lead a force of 32 officers, 17 community officers and 16 staff members to serve the residents of UC Irvine and University Hills. Cisneros will also supervise UCIPD operations at the university’s medical center and Orange, working closely with nearby cities and communities.

“I am humbled by the appointment and I look forward to being part of the Anteater family, working with the men and women of the UCI Police Department and collaborating with faculty, staff and students,” said Cisneros. “I support the campus’s community policing philosophy which helps us establish a safe environment for the university’s mission of teaching, learning, researching and contributing to local, state, national and global needs.”

Originally from Huntington Park, Cisneros’s chief of police for five years and city manager for 10 months. Cisneros earned his master’s degree in criminal justice from Chapman University in 2002 and worked for the Long Beach Police Department, overseeing 51 officers and established a community police program.

Cisneros continued to serve in Long Beach after acquiring his position as chief of staff. He was later promoted to chief of police in 2010 where he continued to serve until his move to UC Irvine.

UC Irvine ranked ninth in best public universities

UC Irvine was ranked the ninth best public university in the nation out of 116 on Sept. 9 by News & World Report, tied with UC San Diego.

The media company U.S. News & World Report publishes various opinions, consumer advice, rankings and corporate analyses. It has categorized colleges and universities for the last 30 years and is best known for its influential “Best Hospitals” and “Best Colleges” rankings.

U.S. News & World Report utilizes the specific criteria created by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching for assessing academic quality in universities around the nation.

UC Berkeley topped the list as the best public university in the nation with UCLA only one rank behind it. UC Santa Barbara ranks eighth, while UC Davis retains a three-way tie between the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and the University of Wisconsin at Madison at 11th place..

UC Irvine currently ranks as the 39th best national university, tied again with UC San Diego.

Measurements in undergraduate academic reputation, retention, faculty resources, student selectivity, financial resources, graduation performance rate and alumni return rate all factor into a university’s ranking.

“Our ranking was based upon our esteemed faculty research, outstanding academic programs and educational outcomes, vibrant campus life and comprehensive financial aid packages,” explained Chancellor Howard Gillman.